Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Kenya - Guess What? Americans are Likeable Again!


Although it wasn't that long ago (2007) that I was posed next to a picture of Hillary Clinton in a hotel in Lima, Peru. The receptionist giggled as she took my picture. In my usual handicapped Spanish I tried to communicate "This is going to be the next Presidente of the Estados Unidos." Tapping my finger on the picture. Presidente=President, Estados Unidos= United States. The hotel staff gently smiled as well as I anticipating how exciting it would be to have such an enigmatic woman in the White House, the leader of the free world.

Catch up a year and so later, as we all know, we elected our first African American president, Barack Obama. Admittedly my hopes were dashed (I even volunteered in San Francisco for the Hillary Clinton campaign) yet I hold no disappointment, rather, hope and huge expectations for our nation's future. Mostly, that people of all nations around the world return to the once high level of admiration and respect that they once held for all Americans.

I always look forward to meeting people from different cultures and have tried to hold an open mind that regardless of their nation's political leaders and structures; they are just like me. They work to pay the bills, they care for friends and family and wouldn't mind once in a while a little bit of fun to come along the way.

In my early experiences backpacking Europe, young Americans would sew a Canadian flag patch on their packs as to not immediately be targeted as American. As we moved through the 8 years of the Bush administration, attempts to disguise one's nationality became more savvy. I have always been proud to be an American and I know in my heart where our finer qualities lie; we are friendly, outgoing, funny, curious and kind. In the past few years, upon meeting new travelers the immediate question asked is "Where are you from?"

"America" I'd say.

"Ohhh....(hiss, hiss)George Bush!" in a tone of disdain.

I never got in a conflict of the political kind with anyone and the people I've met and traveled with have shown me the same respect. Best to talk about fine wine and landscapes than hapless leaders. Although, on occassion I have fibbed just to not get in to it. I've been everything from Swedish to German. In India I bonded with an older, retired couple from the middle of England. I found it really difficult to bargain with souvenier vendors. I couldn't ever get them to knock down pennies and I suspected the spectacle of a young, blonde, woman traveling on her own was tarnishable if not loose in thier terms. The English husband kindly suggested that while we shopped together, perhaps I should pretend that I am their daughter. I giggled at the opportunity to dust off my English accent learned from long ago drama days. At one vendor stand, I was asked "Where are you from?"

In my posh English accent I spoke "Ohhh I'm from the middle of England and this is me Mum and me Dad."

"Ohhh, how lovely to see a family traveling together," and I got the price of a delicately hand painted wooden box knocked off over 30%.

As of November 4th, 2008, Americans are likeable again. We are loved, admired, looked up to and the world danced in the streets on that night. Recently, I traveled to Kenya and Tanzania in Africa with my mother. After a harrowing journey, one that summed up over 35 hours, it goes without saying that our nerves about stepping foot on the dark continent and exhaustion made us feel vulnerable muche less exhausted. Upon meeting our first guide at the international airport in Nairobi, Kenya it was after initial greetings that he smiled and said "Ahhh, Obama..." moving their heads up and down in a gesture of yes and smiling. Each guide from there on and many people we met along the way smiled and spoke kindly "Ahhh...Obama (moving their heads up and down in a gesture of yes and smiling!). Things are going to be good from now on!"

I sincerely hope so.

Photo: En route from Nairobi, Kenya to Arush, Tanzania

2 comments:

Adam Smith said...

You may be correct that Americans are liked more now that Obama is president, but I disagree that we are more respected. Respect comes from strength. We are undoubtedly viewed weaker by foreigners. And that is dangerous.

Erika Lind said...

I appreciate your comment. I am left with the hope of being respected once again. Time will tell if that will ever happen for us.

Do you have a travel related blog?