Friday, February 5, 2010

Bali: I'm Gonna Wash That Funk Right Off Of My Body

I’m gonna wash that funk right off of my body
I’m gonna wash that funk right off of my body
I’m gonna wash that funk right off of my body
And sent it on its way

Whenever I travel there are certain activities I like to experience around the world. They are (in no order of preference) horseback riding, wine tasting and spa indulgences. Bali is known for its spa remedies. Mind you, I travel on a budget and with a curious mind so I opted out of spa treatments at the more luxurious hotels; I wanted a more authentic experience. By chance, strolling down the street from my hotel I happened upon Body Works, a true Balinese Spa. They are an independent spa just up from Jl. Dhyana Pura.

The day before my flight out of Bali I decided to treat myself to a true Balinese spa treatment and popped in to enquire about their services. One treatment sounded particularly enticing to me, the ‘Javenese Lulur.’ The treatment begins with an hour long Balinese massage. Then, the entire body is painted in a brown, granular paste (the traditional Javanese lulur), containing turmeric, sandalwood, cinnamon, ground nuts and rice. The paste is then gently rubbed to exfoliate the skin. After a quick shower, cool, fresh, yoghurt is splashed, then smoothed over the skin. The yoghurt’s enzymes stimulate cell activity and restore PH balance of the skin, which feels as soft as silk as soon as the yoghurt is washed away. The final step involves luxuriating in a fragrant, warm, flower filled bath. For $25 USD? George Washington rocks! I walked in to Body Works and found them to be friendly and laid back. They asked me if I wanted a massage. I said “Tidak saya glee.” (No, I’m not ticklish). Body Works has a reception area at the front and 9 small private rooms located behind. Each room has a bed with a bath.

A young, very young, masseuse, guided me to one of their rooms and in a language I clearly don’t’ understand, instructed me to take it all off (she couldn’t have been older than age 19.) Take it ALL off, right in front of her (no private dressing rooms, no towel to cover up). Memories of a young girl came back to me; undressing in the girls locker room in Jr. High flooded me where I escaped to the girl’s locker room to change in to my gym shorts flooded me. I was a modest young woman growing up but I had to (and did) get over it! She wasn’t going anywhere. “When in Rome Erika…when in Rome,” so I undressed completely in front of her eyes. Completely undressed I was ready to go. “Get over yourself” I thought and I did and it was Heaven.

Body Works spas services are divided into Massages, (which include Full Body Massage, Exfoliation Massage, Thai Massage, Shiatzu Massage, Aromatherapy Massage, Back Massage, Foot Massage), Hair Treatments (which include Creambath, L'oreal Spa Creambath, Hair Coloring, Highlighting, Eyelash / Eyebrow tinting, Shaving), Facial (which includes Sari Ayu Facial, Biokos Seaweed Facial, Biokos Aloe Vera Facial, New-Bio-Lifting Facial), Waxing (which includes Bikini, Brazilian, Half Leg, Full Leg, Lip & Eyebrow, Underarm, Back Waxing, Chest Waxing), Natural Nail Care (which includes Bodyworks Manicure, French Manicure, Flower Manicure, Sports Manicure, Polish Manicure, Polish Change, Bodyworks Pedicure, French Pedicure, Flower Predicure, Sports Pedicure

A sample selection of prices are as follows: Full Body Massage (1 hour) 139,000rp), Highlighting (short hair) 309,000rp, Biokos Seaweed Facial (1 hour) 115,000rp, Bikini Waxing 55,000rp, Sports Manicure 60,000rp.

Body Works has another location on Jl. Kayu Jati, the small lane that runs between Jl. Oberoi and Jl. Petitenget. They open from 9am-10pm.

Bodyworks Jl. Seminyak (0361) 730454Bodyworks Jl. Kayu Jati (0361) 733317
Jl. Raya Seminyak No. 63, Seminyak
Kuta, Bali
Tel/Fax: (0361) 730454

Jl. Kayu Jati No. 2, Petitenget
Kuta, Bali
Tel/Fax: (0361) 733317

No comments: